Question
Posted by: kay | 2003/01/14

Arm Pain

Last night I woke up with extreme pain in my left arm. The pain is in the inside of my elbow joint. It feels like a muscle pain. I tend to get the pain when I lift or carry anything heavy. I have never woken up in the night in agony before. I am in my mid 30's. Can you tell me what it could be?

Kay, I think the first thing that comes to mind it tennis elbow. It might also be due to gout or another form of arthritis. Another less likely option is that it might be something in your neck or shoulder pressing on the nerve that supplies the arm. The best would probably be to take an anti-inflammatory drug like Arthrotec®, Brufen®, Celebrex®, etc, for a couple of days and see what happens. If it doesn’t clear up, you will have to see your doctor. Good luck.