Question
Posted by: Drizzle | 2008/01/22

Are Supplements Necessary for me?

Hello,

I am a 16-year old male. I have a low bodyfat percentage (6.8%), I am 66.5kg and 179cm tall. Though, while I have a low bodyfat percentage, I battle to get definition in my abdominal area and feel that I need to put on muscle.

The reason why I feel this is because I feel that while I have a low bodyfat percentage, My features should at least be visible? and this is why I feel that maybe it's because I lack muscle?

I thought of going onto a Meal Replacement to which I will ONLY use ONCE after my workout (every two days). This is the EVOX - 5x Muscle Meal which has a protein to carbohydrate level of 1:1.

I thought that while this can help me to put on some muscle mass, that I should then go onto a protein blend (Evox Synergy Whey protein with IGF-1) to help strip away any excess fat that I might have gained, and this would help me to have the lean body that I want.

The reason why I am approaching you, is because you are a sports nutritionist and I would like to hear your opinion regarding this matter, as I know you can only give me GOOD advice. :)

Many Thanks!

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Drizzle

I think you are far too much concerned about your body fat percentage that is necessary! At 6,8% it is already extremely low – too low a body fat has detrimental implications of which one is to maintain you testosterone and ultimately therefore your muscle tissue – this might just be the reason why you are battleling to put on muscle. Alternatively the reason will definitely be that you are not eating enough calories / energy for what your body requires. In which case it would not matter which supplement/s you take – if the energy intake is too low you can forget putting on muscle mass. Thus I suggest you stick with the Evox product – it’s a great one – and besides eating three meals per day add to in two servings of the Muscle Meal – one should always be immediately after your training session. Should you still see no increase in muscle mass – given that you are training optimally – you will need to add even more calories to your diet – best to add in some fruit / yoghurt / whole grains e.g. lentils or sweet potato during the day.

Good luck!
Vanessa