Question
Posted by: Bee | 2005/07/15

Are supplements helpful?

I have not been diagnosed with diabetics yet, but I had a test done on one of those daily testers and I measured 255. My question is that I take the following supplements & want to know if they are of benefit or not: 800 mcg. of Chromium Picolinate,500 mcg of Vitamin B-12, & 100 mg of Vitamin B-6. I would really like an answer ASAP. THANKS,
Bee

Dear Bee
The supplements you mention are good ones, but except for the chromium will not make any difference to your tendency to diabetes. Chromium helps to control blood glucose levels, but don't take more than 200 microgram a day as too much chromium can also be harmful and exceeding this dose does not improve the effect. If you are tending to diabetes or insulin resistance then it is important to eat a diet that is based on foods with a low glycaemic index and is also low in fat. Ideally you should consult a clinical dietitian for the correct diet (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area). For information about using low GI foods, click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day, or join Walk for Life or a good gym as regular, aerobic exercise helps to control weight and insulin resistance. If you should be diagnosed with diabetes or insulin resistance you can use a supplement called Diabion which has been formulated for diabetics.