Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/10/11

Are my breats too big for a breast lift?

Hi Doc,
Im 22 years old and wear a size 38D bra. My breast are VERY SAGGY ,the skin is very badly stretched and full of stretchmarks. This GREATLY affects my self confidence because I feel that my youth is the time I should be having perky breasts and being able to wear what I want!
I am about 6 kilos overweight and currently on a weight loss program and I have noticed that my breasts are getting smaller-closer to a C cup.
I definetely wanna have something done to my breasts but have always been opposed to a brest reduction. The reason for this is that I scar VERY BADLY even from minor cuts and ALWAYS get keloids from deep cuts.
So ,I wanted to opt for a breast lift, BUT I have read that people with big breasts are often NOT good candidates for lifts because the breasts are heavy and are likely to sag again after some time.Is this correct? Realistically , is a breast lift a viable option for me?

If judging from my story a breast reduction would be more realistic, please could you explain to me the procedure whereby the scarring is internal and can be minimally seen on the outside of the breast. Does such a technique exist?
Your comments will be greatly appreciated,
caroline

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Carol,

You need to be clinically examined to determine exactly which option is required in your case. From what you describe, however, breast reduction would probably be the correct option. Continuing with your weight loss program first and finalising that, and then stabilising your weight is advisable. Not only would you then be more likely to retain the benefits of the procedure, but you would be a healthier patient to operate on in the first instance.

There is no surgical technique without visible external scars. However, there are various ways in which to try and minimise scarring, including keloids, which are quite successful.

Please visit a plastic surgeon for a proper evaluation and advice for you specifically.

1
Posted by: Tea | 2004/10/16

Carol,

i am 20 now and i also had a problem like you! i had a reduction about 8 months ago and i am soooo pleased with my results!
it really was worth it! i love my new smaller breasts - and so does my hubby.
if you need to chat or any advice - my e mail is
reduce at
tarryndanae dot co dot za (as you would write it normally)

All the best -
Tea

Reply to Tea