Question
Posted by: Kim | 2007/03/01

Are gym pools safe for pregnant women?

With swimming being a recommended exercise during pregnancy, are the public pools at gyms considered safe, especially when considering the risk of infection.
What is the general consensus?

Hi Kim

I have no idea, though there is no reason why pregnancy would elevate the risk above that of anyone else (that is, the risk of infection will be similar, but the consequences of being infected may be different). But I certainly have not heard of any research or any other reason to suggest that it is risky. The pools at gyms to have to conform to a certain minimum hygiene requirement, and so the pool will have to be chemically treated in order to minimize this risk. Whether or not all the pools in all the gyms meet these requirements is another story - you would be well within your rights to ask about it, though, and find out what is going on in your particular gym. But in general, there has never been a reason to think that it's unsafe. In fact, the air may be more of a health hazard than the water, because of air conditioning issues, and you can't treat the air like you can the water.

Ross

1
Posted by: Lynda | 2007/03/01

I wouldn't use the jacuzzi (hot tub) at Mangwanani Day Spa in Pretoria east. That is a cesspool for bacteria growth, there was actually scum floating ...oh yuk Sis! I am not pregnant but probably the best person to ask is your Dr. Hygienically people should shower and wash themselves with soap before they get into a public pool / pool at gym but most do not do that. I remember visiting hot thermal open air baths in Japan and it was the middle of winter, all the local Japanese men and women left as soon as the South Africans arrived. We all had to was ourselves with soap and water (outdoor showers) before getting into the hot springs, but guess they watched the SA's didn't do a good job and they weren't going to take a chance.

Reply to Lynda