Question
Posted by: Riekie | 2007/12/04

ARDS

A couple of weeks ago I suffered from Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) 2 days after a back operation. According to the doctor my body did not cope well with the anaesthesia. Luckily I recovered quite quickly again, but I would like to know if I can develop it again and if there could have been any permanent damage to my lungs. I also do not understand so well why I only got sick 2 days later. I am naturally very healthy and do not even get colds or flu. I also never smoked and I am not overweight. I am 48 years old (female).

Hallo Riekie
The disease process of ARDS is still not understood very well but we know that it is caused by chemicals in the blood that is released by mechanical trauma and stress, that causes inflammation of they lung tissue. This causes the lungs not to ventilate properly causing fluid on the lungs and shortness of breath or acute asphyxia. It can cause scar tissue in the lungs depending on how bad the inflammation was, but many patients recover fully.
See this article: http://www.emedicinehealth.com/acute_respiratory_distress_syndrome/article_em.htm
dr Bets

1
Posted by: nina | 2009/03/18

I read all the possibilities and come to the conclusion that I maybe have inflammation. I am short of breath and cough on and off during the day. I also feel very tired, and as from yesterday have a severe pain in the middle of my back. I have read all the symptons but never of a backpain

Reply to nina