Posted by: Andy | 2009/01/06

Arbitration Award


I had a lady in my employ from July 07 to Sept 08 to look after my child. I terminated her employment because she took leave for 3 weeks whilst I had to put my child in creche. I gave her a months notice pay (R1200). She accepted the dismissal and notice pay but demanded a bonus. I explained to her that I cannot afford to give her anything else.
When she realised I' m not giving in to her demands she took me to the CCMA for unfair dismissal. She lied to them that she was gone for a week and when she got back I fired her. CCMA ruled in her favour awarding her R3400 for 2months at R1700pm. I applied for a variation as her salary was R1200.

Now my problem is that I' m in a financial crisis and never paid her salary myself. Her salary was paid by my boy' s father. She knows this. I' m over indebted and barely have money left for food at month ends. What will happen if I cannot make the payments and can I go to a court with proof of all my expenses to show them that I cannot pay her.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer


Arbitration Award cannot go on appeal, you can take it on a review but that is very difficult and expensive. It is suggest you request a chance to pay it off.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.