Question
Posted by: JJ | 2006/11/14

Apples

Dear Doc

I eat alot of apples, up to five a day, as I use them when I get strong cravings . Can they in anyway make me gain weight due to their sugar content etc ?

Dear JJ
Apples contain 59 cal or 237 kJ per 100g, so weigh how much the 5 apples weigh and calculate how many extra kJ you are ingesting when you eat them. If you are trying to lose weight and are female then you require 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. Eating 5 apples a day will not cause weight gain unless this makes you push your energy intake over your requirement.