Question
Posted by: mazet | 2003/02/22

appetite suppressants for children, under 16 yrs

what would you recommend? are there any herbal / natural alternatives

Dear Mazet
Children and teenagers should NOT be given appetite suppressants in any form. This can have very harmful side-effects and impair their growth and development. For young people to lose weight, experts the world over agree that the child should a) start being as active as possible (give direct encouragement for participation in sport, gym, etc) and b) only reduce their intake of high-fat foods if they are very overweight. Any other approach can lead to Eating Disorders which is not the way you would like your child to go.
Take great care

1
Posted by: Ma'at | 2003/02/23

Surely you're joking Mazet? Appetitite suppressants are absolute poison (for everone), you'd be killing your kids! So okay, they're overweight? - get their diet sorted out and the cravings will go away. Diet means what you eat, when you eat it and how much you eat. Junk foods, wheat, sugar, dairy products, and fried foods are the main offenders - cut them out. Oh yes, how about the example you set? Are you healthy and in good shape? Children learn from their parents. So I suppose I am being harsh ... but please don't kill your kids!

Reply to Ma'at