Question
Posted by: Nini | 2007/04/11

appendix

Hi doc! Hope you can help, don't know who to ask. I had my appendix removed end of 2004, and there were no problems. I didn't exercise for about 6 months after that.
Since then I have been exercising, but sometimes the place where my appendix was gets so sore!
I have started running in October, and its so painful it keeps me up at night....Ís my body still healing or can it be something more serious? Can i continue my running???
Thank you!

Hi Nini

There's basically zero chance that it's still healing, it will have healed long ago. So either this is a new problem, which may be related to the appendix operation, or it's a new problem that is completely unrelated to the appendix. I wish I could say which it was, but I would be making a wild guess. Is it possible that it's just a stitch, which would be almost co-incidentally in the same place as before. But the fact that it keeps you up at night suggests it is more than this and so I do think that the best is to see a doctor - this is not some mild pain that irritates you when you run, it actually keeps you awake and so it's certainly worth seeing a doctor about.