Question
Posted by: MIke JJ | 2004/10/20

aplastic anemia

My younger brother has just been diagnosed as suffering from aplastic anemia, a seriuos condition. he is in hospital, receiving px.
About 6 weeks ago he contracted a severe bout of tick bite fever, complications set in..

My elder brother is (also) in hospital right now - & being treated for Giant Cell Arthritis - his original symptoms are simialr to those of aplastic anemia.

I am very worried about them both.
Is there any possible link between the 3 mentioned conditions, or even a 4th possibilty of a genetic connection?
MIke

Mike JJ, there is no direct link that I’m aware of in otherwise healthy people. People with giant cell arteritis may develop anaemia, but it won’t be an aplastic anaemia. There ia a rare form of aplastic anaemia that has a genetic link, but these people all have other problems. Good luck. .