Question
Posted by: Silla | 2007/03/22

ANYONE HEARD OF A SHEATH

I went for my detailed scan on Sat and the lady asked if i have ever bled during the pregnancy as she see's blood sediments in my womb - i told her i haven't, just that i had had a strange discharge earlier in my pregnancy and that it had gone away.
She also noticed a thing she called a sheath and said that if the babies leg got stuck in this sheath it could get amputated... She also said it was very rare that it happens but i still cant seem to get this out of my head!! What could be the cause of these blood particles and this sheath? is there nothing they can do to fix it?

It is not uncommon to see the appearance of an old bleed even though you may not have had external bleeding. It usually does not affect the pregnancy.
The sheath is a fold in the membranes. While this can cause problems, if it is well away from the baby, this would be unlikely.