Question
Posted by: Need2know | 2005/01/11

Anyone been to hosp. casualty when feeling suicidal?

Has anyone here on this site been to a hospital when feeling suicidal?The thing is, I've been having suicidal feelings for the last 2 days.I will only be seeing a psych. later this mth.
Now I know the next best thing
2 do is to go a hops. casualty, but I am embarassed.
What do I tell them?Do I ask for a specific doctor, etc.
Also, what do they do once you tell them?Do they admit you?

Nothing to feel embarassed --- what you are experiencing happens to the best of us at times, and any properly trained hospital staff should appreciate someone with the sense to seek help when they need it, and to prefer to see you when self-harm can be prevented. And consultations must be confidential. As Shaun says, a longish wait is probably inevitable, as casualties are always busy. A govt hospital which is linked to a medical school could be useful ; As C says a private psych clinic may have someone on emergency call, but tey would most probably charge for that service.
Does the psychiatrist with whom you have your appointment later this month, know that you are suicidal at present ? If not, let his office know, as he may be able to fit in an urgent appointment earlier, to help deal with this.
And remember, if you run into anyone crude, nadly trained and stpuid enough to ridicule you or anyone in such a situation, just know that you have run across a fool, and ignore their comments. But that really should not happen.

7
Posted by: Shaun | 2005/01/11

No C, your words were spot on!!! Why would you even think otherwise. Don't be too sensitive now... c,")

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: c | 2005/01/11

I'm sorry. I'm really insensitive. Should keep my advice to myself.

Reply to c
Posted by: Shaun | 2005/01/11

Well then you find the hospital's info centre & ask where the different wards are. I'm sure you will be able to get a more direct idea of where you need to be. Besides, to even bother about being ridiculed or anything like that coz who's to say you're not there to visit someone....

Don't let people's ignorance scare you from doing what you need to. You just concentrate on getting to that section of the hospital you need to.

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: c | 2005/01/11

No matter what I've said. A general hospital is also fine. The most important thing is that you get the help you need and deserve.

Take care.

Reply to c
Posted by: Need2know | 2005/01/11

Thanks Shaun for your detailed response.Same to you C.However, I do not have med. aid and was wondering how this would affect my calling Denmar, etc.
With the Government hosp.-I am afraid to be ridiculed while in this fragile state.And believe me, I know how insensitive those health professionals tend to be.
Nevertheless, thanks for your helpful comments.

Much appreciated.

Reply to Need2know
Posted by: c | 2005/01/11

You can call one of the psych clinics like Denmar or Vista if you want. I know that they have psychiatrist available for emergencies. Much better than going to a general hospital I think.

Reply to c
Posted by: Shaun | 2005/01/11

Hi there,

The first thing to do is prepare yourself for a bit of a wait, but they do help you there. There is absolutlely nothing to be embarrased about as they don't discuss you or your concerns in a public area. Initially they do a general consultation with you in person then you get to air your concern. The person you consult with will advise you where to go & what to get & who to see. They do not admit you without your permission, but they do make suggestions as to your best choice of action to be taken.
I must tell you that more often than not you get the best help from a government hospital, especially one that has an affiliation with the universities. So don't be embarrased, know that you getting the best care you need for yourself.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun