Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/06/24

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a pretty stable person. when I do have down moments like any normal person would, i am very aware of the fact that things things ALWAYS get better and concentrate on that rather than the bad. This normally leads to me not suffering to badly with any depressive episodes. My problem is that my fiance is the opposite. she suffers from severe depression and battles to see any light at the end of the tunnel occasionally having suicidal thoughts. I try incredibly hard to prevent the depresion and i feel like it it getting me down. Initially I thought that i had a chance in turning her around when the reality is it's here to stay (for now at least). I am also a true believer that if being with somebody does not add quality to your life then it shouldn't be at all, i believe we are meant to be which is why i'm willing to hear any suggestions. I need to help her, i need as many ways as possible to supress her depressive feelings. We have been living together for 2 years. I will do anything to help her. Please help!

Hello Anon,
What you seem to be describing in yourself, is the normal capacity to handle the ups and downs of normal mood ( none of us is absolutely even-tempered at all times ). Your fiance apparently suffers from a Depressive Disorder, in which the level of depression is greater and less open to control by the individual. CBT, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy is the only form of psychotherapy which has been shown in good research to have a powerful effect in enabling the person to control their depressions themselves, and is shown as comnparably effective to antidepressant medications, which a combination of CBT and ADs, is probably best of all. It is possible that she and even her therapist might agree to share some sessions of CBt so you can learn relevant aspects of the technique so as to help her use it well. Without the advantage of professional training and this structured technique, you are unable single-handedly to help her lift the Depression, though you could still be most valuable in encouraging her to get the best available professional help and to stick to the treatment combination she agrees on with her shrink

1
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/06/24

Dr she is on anti-depressant medication. unfortunatly our financial situation does not support use of a pshychologist at this stage.