Question
Posted by: Pill or injection?? | 2004/01/19

Any side-effects to injected contraceptive?

Do injected contraceptive have any side-effects? and are there anything (like alcohol or medication) that can make it less effective?

Alcohol and medications do not interfere with te efficacy of the injection. For more information on side effects check in the Contraception section in th A-Z of diseases.

4
Posted by: Concern | 2004/01/28

Please don't use it, I know it is nice not having your period, that's why I was on it for about 7 years, but now that I wan't to get pregnant I cant, it is now about 15 months!!

Reply to Concern
Posted by: linda | 2004/01/20

I only used it for a year but took me two & half year to conceive!

Reply to linda
Posted by: Q | 2004/01/20

Hello.

I am 24 and was on the injection for almost a year (about six injections), then I stopped.
Reason being: I like to get my periods on time & I like to know how long they are going to last.

I just recently heard that they are not good and will affect you when you are older.

Thats just what I heard....

Reply to Q
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/20

Morning!
No, alcohol or medication is safely to be taken during the injection. Other side effects are slight headaches and there could be a weight increase of between 2 - 5 kg. In about 90% of the cases you would stop menstruating (which to me was a huge plus), however, if you would like to fall pregnant soon, it is not an option as it takes as long as a year to work out of your system. I was just lucky to fall pregnant within 4 months, but read this forum and you will see that there are alot of ladies struggling to fall pregnant after taking this.
Speak to your clinic about other side effects, should I have missed some.

Reply to Kippie