Question
Posted by: Kristi | 2003/01/10

Any info about sweet basil being bad for a problem liver??

Two years ago my husband nearly died of alcohol-related liver problems, which affected first of all his heart (so we thought at first that that was the problem). Strangely enough he is not your common-or-garden alcoholic. He might be, said the specialist, one of the 6% of people whose livers are easily susceptible to alcohol damage.

He seems fine now, and still drinks, but only white wine with water. (He is not supposed to drink at all, but who is going to stop him?) He takes milk thistle tablets, and a blood test a year ago showed that his liver improved markedly.

I try to have us eat a very good diet (he is also prone to high blood sugar). And as to my question above: I have masses of sweet basil right now. I have made pesto for the freezer, I use it in all our salads. So, on a quest to find more basil recipes, I came across TWO (only two!) mentions on the Internet, that "people with liver problems should avoid basil". This came as a shock, as we've been eating basil like crazy, because it is at its gorgeous best and will be for a long while.

Do you know anything about basil being bad for damaged livers?? As said, when I went into this on the WW Web, I found only two mentions of it, and NO details.

Dear Kristi
I must admit that I have not heard that fresh basil can be harmful and needs to be avoided by people with liver problems. As is the case with all diet- and lifestyle-related practices, moderation is the key. So don't go overboard with the basil, just have it now and then, not every day. If your husband is sensitive to alcohol and sugar-problems, I think he should try to switch over to non-alcoholic beverages like non-alcoholic beer and low-sugar drinks. You could put this question about the basil to a herb expert or phone Margaret Roberts, the herb guru.
Take care