Question
Posted by: JC | 2005/12/15

Any happy gay guys?

Hi.<br>It is so depressing reading through all these letters - not a good thing for this time of the year. Why don't someyone tell is about the good and nice things of beeing gay, is there something possitive about beeing gay? What advantageous does gay people have? There is so many "cons" for beeing gay, where is all the "pro's" ? <br>Take care and all the best of luck for the new year. <br>JC

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi JC, and thanks for posting here.

You sound quire despondent but you need to remind yourself of two things.

Firstly, there's nothing 'wrong' or depressing about being gay or lesbian. Nothing at all. What sometimes makes being gay or lesbian difficult is the prejudiced, biased heterosexist world we live in. Many elements of society cannot accommodate any diversity in terms of sexual orientation and society discriminates against people on many levels. We'd all be doing a lot better if society allowed us to.

Secondly, you can't judge the state of Gayville by what you read on our forum - people who post here are often experiencing a level of difficulty or a particular problem in their lives and we're here to offer support and hopefully some advice or a few suggestions on how to overcome problems. By the same token, posts on the Cybershrink forum are not representative of everyone living in Straightville.

Interesting that you say there are no 'pros' to being gay or lesbian - which negates the argument by straights that we somehow 'choose' to be gay.

2
Posted by: Dyl | 2005/12/15

Hi JC, i gotta admit, that even we complain, most of us are very happy. i can honestly say that i am very happy in my relationship and can see that it is going to last for a very long time....
hope you find happiness, merry x-mas and the best for the new year!

Reply to Dyl
Posted by: x | 2005/12/15

We oftem focus on the negative. Lets start by talking about the succesful gay people in the world today. Without mentioning names Fortune 500 mag in 2002 published an article on the the high percenatge of senior executives in corporate America who are gay. There are many happy gay people JC who have been in stable relationships for many years. Gay people are some of the most resilient and emotionally strong people I know and you know why ? from an early age they have learned to fight for themselves. We must focus on how to be happy and stop focusing on why we are gay and move on. Some of the most compasionate people I know are gay, some of the most caring people I know are gay. Live your life.

Reply to x