Question
Posted by: lost girl | 2005/07/10

Any cutters out there who can help

Im addicted to cutting, It comes with such disgust. Im wanting to know if anyone out there also cuts and why they do it and why the majority of people do it. I have been through a lot. So i think I know why I started but now I think its just become one of my many screwed up addictions, how can I stop?/ How have others stopped?

And as I've advised before, search the archives of this column, as we've discussed the topic many tinmes before, based on the experiences of numerous listers, my own research and publications on the subject, and the experiences of several readers who have given up cutting. it is kinda addictive, but like all such behaviours, the sooner you stop, and the longer you stay stopped, the more free from it you can become.

2
Posted by: CAgirl | 2005/07/11

sweetie this is a subject i definitely know about . you are NOT alone, and what you are doing is "normal", in a way. i used to do it all the time. the reasons are different for everyone, but for me it was because i was angry at myself for doing certain things, like being promiscuous, or doing too many drugs, or cheating and lying. i hated myself and wanted to punish myself. there was another side too...sometimes i was just plain depressed and felt numb, like i wasn't even alive. cutting is a way to FEEL something, anything, even if it is pain. the wierd thing is that when i cut myself, it didn't even hurt, like i was SO numb that just seeing the blood helped me feel alive. do you feel like this too? i cut all the way from age 15 to about 22. i remember the last few times i cut and it really hurt, thinking "wow, it hurts" and being surprised by that. then i realized that i wasn't getting the same kind of satisfaction from cutting anymore, like it wasn't working. that's when i realized i needed to stop and knew that i could find other ways to express pain. what happened was that eventually i just gew out of the pain and didn't need to do it anymore, i got healthier and grew up a lot. i did go through therapy and had a lot of people in my life loving me through it. also i tried to express feelings in writing, like a journal and poetry (reading and writing). just writing my thoughts. instead of picking up a blade, i picked up a pen and just wrote until those feelings subsided. i still think of cutting sometimes but i don't. i know i am healthier. what you have to realize is that it is an addiction, like drinking or drugs. stuff people do that they know is bad for them but it somehow makes them feel better for the moment. but it is only a temporary fix. you must try to seek help, or do things for yourself to stop the pain. music helped me too. i loved listening to the grateful dead. just happy music. know that you are not alone and that cutters are not suicidal. it is a silent cry for help, even if only to yourself. so help yourself. and if you can't seek others that will help you. you can do it. it may take a lot of time but it is possible. i am living proof. good luck honey.

Reply to CAgirl
Posted by: lost girls aswell | 2005/07/10

www . recover your life . com type this website in like any other normal webiste and its got a chat room for cutters

Reply to lost girls aswell