Question
Posted by: Eve | 2007/08/20

Anxious cat

I have a 5 year old neutered male that I got from the SPCA when he was 3 years old. I am not sure how he came to be at the SPCA. He was always a very friendly cat but unfortunately a neighbour took a dislike to him and he has been poisoned with organophosphates a few times. Which means he is now an indoor cat but does have continuous outside access via an enclosure I had built for him on one side of the house. Unfortunately he has now become an extremely clingy cat. It is a marked change in his personality. He wakes me up at night to get petted. If I am at my computer working he stands on the keyboard. If I watch TV he is on my lap. He won't leave me alone at all. He constantly meows for attention and follows me around the house (even into the shower!). I get quite frustrated with him, mostly because I don't understand what he needs - no amount of petting will satisfy him. A new puppy entered the family in January and things have gotten progressively worse.

I have two questions. Firstly, is there a possibility of brain damage from the poisoning? Secondly, is there any behvavioural therapy that I could look at for him? I worry that he is emotionally distressed and needs more than the comforting that I give him.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please have him evaluated by a vet who has experience in treating animals with behavioural problems. Installing a Feliway vapourizer will help settle him down as well.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/08/20

It sounds as tho he could be lonely ... im not sure however .... but I cant help thinking a buddy might help.

Reply to Carol