Question
Posted by: TTC | 2007/02/16

Anxious

I ovulated on the 23-24 Jan, durig this time we had timed intercourse. Was due to start period on the 4th Feb however missed my period and waited a week to perform a HCG test. Test was negative. On the 10 Feb period started, a very light to medium flow which lasted 4 days as opposed to a normal 26/6 day cycle.

Could you please explain the delayed menses as I was positive that I was pregnant. The ovultion monitoring kit gave a very high LH surge for the days mentioned. Also could you please explain the luteal phase, persistent corpus luteum and failure of involution.

Even though you ovulated, you do not necessarily fall pregnant even if you have intercourse at that time. the luteal phase is the period between ovulation and menstruation. After ovulation, a corpus lueum is formed (the sca where the egg was). This usually disappears in a few days, but can sometimes persist longer than usual and cause an abnormal period. Involution is the absorption of the corpus luteum and failure of this means that it persists longer than it should.