Question
Posted by: screwup | 2004/10/24

ANXIETY/SOCIAL PHOBIA. I CANT SPEAK TO PEOPLE, I DONT GET ANXIOUS OR SCARED MY MIND JUST GOES BLANK?

PLEASE HELP ME I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS FOR 28 YEARS, I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH LONGER I CAN TAKE IT, I AM ON ANTI DEPRESSANTS( REMERON 15MG)

Dear screwup,
Remeron might help, though I haven't seen evidence of it's specific value in this particular problem ( social phobia ) as more of the early evidence was in favour of the SSRI family ( Prozac, Cilift, etc). What I think you also need to do, is to search locally ( ask GP, call local psychologists ) for someone dealing with providing CBT ( Cognitive-Behavior Therapy ) a form of talking therapy which can be very effective in this and many other conditions. especially when used in combination with the right medication. I am at present also reviewing a self-help book using CBT to deal with anxiety and social anxiety, which you may well find useful. As soon as I have established a system for them to be made available for purchase online via our colleagues at Kalahari, We'll be putting the reviews online here with appropriate links.
I'm sorry to ehar you've had to put up with this most unpleasant conditon for 28 years --- it can be alleviated and you can become much more relaxed and competent / comfortable socially. Keep persisting, and with these additional aides, you should get there.

2
Posted by: Bellababe | 2004/10/25

Matthew - as soon as you got your support group set up let me know coz i want to join!

Reply to Bellababe
Posted by: matthew | 2004/10/24

I'm 21 and have it too are you telling me I'l never be able to beat this. Doctor, can social anxiety be beaten or are we stuck with it for the rest of our lives. If so, I'm not gonna be dumb and live the rest of my life in misery, that's crazy. I take cipramil screwup and it doesn't seem to help too much either. Screwup I live in Joburg, should we meet up, I'm trying to get a group of people together to try and fight this problem together. I want to slay this dragon once and for all. Like to join in??
Are there any drugs specifically available for social anxiety sufferers. I find I get anxious when people look at me or when the conversation has run dry, I feel like it's all my fault. Yet, that is obviously crap.

Reply to matthew