Question
Posted by: Sunshine | 2006/04/12

Anxiety in pregnancy

hi doc

wrote this to the pharmacist but no response yet..do u have any advice please...

am 6 wks pregnant.
have been on alzam for 12 years - freely available to me from GP's. initially prescribed for panic attacks - now because my body goes into withdrawal without them.
have also been on aropax for four months.
went to the gynae for advice on medication - he sent me to a psychiatrist.
the gynae says there is no guarantee whether any damage has been done yet.
nobody seems to have an alternative medication that is pregnancy safe that i can use.

would really be greatful if you could help me. i really dont want to lose or harm this baby.

thanks in advance.

You don't say what the psychiatrist recommended. Aropax is not the best antidepressant in pregnancy, but Prozac is fairly safe. Perhaps you could discuss changing to this. While Alzam is not ideal, it probably will not cause too much harm. Perhaps you could try decreasing the dose or frequency.