Posted by: Kelly | 2008/10/17

Anxiety Disorder

I have a severe social and public speaking phobia.
Which kind of psychologist or psychiatrist can help me with the above.
As I m on the verge of losing my job, as it requires presentations, meetings and attending lots of social events.
I have tried hypnosis to no avail.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALmost any shrink should be able to help you. The most effective combination of treatments could be arranged by either a psychiatrist or a psycholggist, and should include Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) and some medications otherwise also used to treat depression. I would really not have expected hypnosis to work --- it's far too superficial an intervention. But while the medication could help to correct some of the underlying chemical anomalies, the CBT would focus efficiently on helping you to unlearn the habit of panicking in social and speaking situations, and indeed to be able to relax and enjoy them. And it need not take very long to achieve such results.