Posted by: Kelly | 2008/10/17

Anxiety Disorder


I have a severe social and public speaking phobia.
Which kind of psychologist or psychiatrist can help me with the above.
As I m on the verge of losing my job, as it requires presentations, meetings and attending lots of social events.
I have tried hypnosis to no avail.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

ALmost any shrink should be able to help you. The most effective combination of treatments could be arranged by either a psychiatrist or a psycholggist, and should include Cognitive Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) and some medications otherwise also used to treat depression. I would really not have expected hypnosis to work --- it's far too superficial an intervention. But while the medication could help to correct some of the underlying chemical anomalies, the CBT would focus efficiently on helping you to unlearn the habit of panicking in social and speaking situations, and indeed to be able to relax and enjoy them. And it need not take very long to achieve such results.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.