Question
Posted by: Quietdove | 2007/05/16

Anxiety Disorder

Hello,<br>I have had anxiety nearly all my life.. I shake alot sometimes also. My question is this. I have been on klonopin for years that a dr. presribed for me, but in the last yr or so it doesnt really help alot. I stay awake anyways.. Its horrible.. Is my body to used to this? and if it is, can I be prescribed a higher dosage? I take, 1/2 mg. during the day, and one mg. before i go to bed.. But i lay there and toss and turn, not to mention using the bathroom at least 4 times a night.. Can you please offer me some kind of advise? I really appreciate it alot..<br>Thank you,<br>Zelma S.

Klonopin is Clonazepam, just another of the benzodiazepine sedative tranquillizers, and something that can cause drug dependency problems when one takes it for years, so one would need to stop it gradually and carefully. It is NOT an appropriate treatment for chronic anxiety if given for years. Taking higher doses is NOT adviseable.
Go to see a properly trained specialist Psychiatrist for re-assessment and advice --- you'd probably do very well with CBT style counselling, which wo9uld teach you to regain control over the anxiety, with perhaps an SSRI antidepressant medication to reduce the anxiety by that method, too.