Question
Posted by: suncat | 2005/11/24

Anxiety disorder

I suffer from social anxiety disorder (social phobia) , over the last 2 years or so its gotten worse by the month and i am now also suffering from major depression because of it. Due to the nature of this disorder i cannot bring myself to go to a doc. and also i am terrified that they will stuff me full of weird medications.
Recently i started doing yoga (at home as i cant go out as much as i would like to) and i have noticed that by relaxing more i do feel better.
Now i was wondering if there is maybe a few specific mantras or meditations that might help me overcome these terrible fears of people? or maybe a pattern of exercises that will work best?
Thank you in advance
suncat

Expert ImageYoga

Hi suncat - I must just congratulate you on your courage and determination to not only take responsibility for change but also actually take action to make changes in your life - it is indeed inspirational! I suggest you take a look at the following website link which has some great information and what looks like a worthwhile sequence to aid in specific situations: yogajournal.com/x_mentalhealth.cfm. Whilst it is always better to learn from a knowledgeable, experienced, patient and empathetic teacher it is possible to get all of the benefits of yoga from following a home practise.
Thanks for the letter!
Chris

1
Posted by: Gerlinde | 2005/11/24

Hi Suncat,
I suggest the Art of Living breathing course. It's a wonderful course that combines breathing practices, yoga & meditation to rid the body of stress & toxins. Once we get rid of the stress healing on all levels can happen. It is a very experiental course where one learns a very powerful breathing technique (the Sudarshan Kriya) which can then be practiced at home every day. For detailed information about the benefits of Sudarshan Kriya got to: artofliving.org.za/courses/kriya.asp

You're welcome to email me if you need any further information.
Kind Regards
:)gerlinde

Reply to Gerlinde