Posted by: Anri | 2007/07/17

Anxiety attacks

Please I need some help. Last year my husband was diagnose with minor fisical depression. He was tired all the time, had terrible headaches and couldn't sleep. Our GP put him on Deparoc 20mg which helped a lot. But now he gets anxiety fits. I can't talk to him about stuff that I'm unhappy about becasue then he gets so depressed and say stuff like he's useless and he don't know why I married him because he can't look after me and all such nonsense. He also struggle to breath and start shaking like mad. AND with it all he than starts to feel bad because he gets this fits and can't control it. What must I do to help him? I don't want to fight with him, but sometimes I need to tell him when I'm unhappy about something. It only happened twice in the past 6 months we've been married, but it is terrible to see him like that so I just rather don't say when I'm unhappy and then things just built up and I feel sick and very unhappy and all I want to do is cry. Please, what must I do to help him? How do I talk to him without causing an anxiety attack?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It really sounds as though your husband needs to move beyond GP treatment, and arrange to see a good local psychiatrits for a re-assessment of his diagnosis and treatment. That he has already responded well to one medication ( though apparently not quite well enough or for long enough ) is promising, and a different medication and perhaps some counselling, especially of the CBT format, should be really helpful for him. From your description, it sounds as though his degree of depression could be really severe, and need more urgent action including such direct expert input.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Rama | 2007/07/18

I used to have severe panic attacks - I was put onto cipramil by my doc, this is a common treatment for anxiety and depression and very effective. Exercise, eating healthy foods and supplementation with fish oil (omega 3's) will also help the body to heal. The mental part which is, more often than not, the root cause of these problems will require personal development work, try a book called "Mindpower into the 21st century" by John Kehoe. The techniques provided can enable any person to radically remodel their self image and their reality. This is not an easy process but a necessary one. Consider that it is simply a persons habits that determine their experience of reality, so by changing these you change your reality. All the best

Reply to Rama
Posted by: Contolled attacks | 2007/07/17

I don't know how you can talk to him without him having an anxiety attack but I do know a very effective way to get over an anxiety attack.

I used to have bad attacks that would end up with me practically passing out because I was not getting enough air. My doctor gave me some techniques that work really well because they remove the focus from the attack onto something else and it helps calm the person down and prevents them running out of breathe

When your husband has an attack try any of the following:
- Ask him to count backwards in 7s from 982 or some big number
- Ask him to give you clear and specific directions on how to get home from his work, or the local cafe, or somewhere
- Ask him to say the alphabet backwards

All these things help make the person concentrate on something else and then their breathing returns to normal without them realising it.

Reply to Contolled attacks

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.