Question
Posted by: niknak | 2004/01/08

anxiety and panic

recently i have been very depressed and today all my problems started racing through my hwead at school, and i completely lost concentration and started crying and shaking. My form tutor said i might of had a panic attack, and told me to breathe deeply and sit down and have some water. I have nevr had a panic attack before but have felt depressed for a long time. Did I have a panic attack?

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Niknak

Loss of concentration, crying, weeping, shaking, loss of breath, muscle spasm are all symtoms of a panick attack. If you feel anxious because of a certain stimuli it is important to identify the stimuli and address the issues to try and prevent a panic attack.

But, when you go into a panic attack it is important to focus on your breathing and to exhale and inhale very deaply and try and get back the control through controling your breathing tempo. Then try and relax all your muscles in your body that you feel totally relaxed; this will help you to get out of the state of panic and return to normal.

The question is why do you feel so depressed? You must definitely try to find the root of your depression.

T

1
Posted by: N@S | 2004/01/13

The other day I panicked about something and I started to breathe very deeply and I think not think. Eventually I could not feel my hands and feet. My body went into a spasm. I have also been depressed and I asked my doctor about it and he said that I went into Hyperthermia- it is when I start to panic and I am not breathing, therefore blood and oxygen was not going to my brain. It has never happened befroe and I am scared that it happens again and there is nobody around to help me. The doctor gave me anti depressants and I take two a day and they do not work. I still have that strong feeling of anxiety and my chest is starting to get tight. What if this hyperthermia is a problem. Can the doc please suggest something.

Reply to N@S