Posted by: auntie M | 2008/12/06


Hi! I have been on Paxil 20 mg. for about six years because I was experiencing anxiety attacks.FOR the last two weeks I have been feeling very anxious.When I go to the store or a public place,I cannot be alone and most of the time I feel like I have to get out of there.A feeling comes over me and i say to myself that i need to get out of there.I get dizzy and think to myself that i am gonna pass out.In my " right"  mind,i know i am not gonna pass out,but i cant help but wonder...what if?Its sick and wrong,i know.i just want to know how to control it.Its getting to the point that i only want to go to loved ones houses,not public stores or malls.If i cant see an exit sign,so help me God!Im not sure if this is of any significance,but two months ago,for unknown reasons my doctor gave me paxil cr 37.5 mg,instead of the usual 20 mg regular paxil.i was on the 37.5 cr paxil for two months.Recently,i am switched back to 20 mg.and my next three refills are for 20 you think this may be why i am having these weird phobias about being without someone i know and trust and a fear of " passing out"  in public places?thank you for any insight on this matter!greatfully yours,AUNTIE M

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I would always want to add, to medication like Paxil, Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy, CBT, which would help you more specifically to identify the sources aof and triggers for, your anxiety, and to help you cope bettwe with them, and to learn to relax when you need to. YOu seem to be describing Agoraphobia, which responds well to the combination of CBT and medication such as Paxil or several others. I don't really see why the changes in your Paxil preparation and dosage would necessarily have caused this, unless the dose fell below the level effective for you. WHY is an obvious but surprisingly often not a useful question. You can free yourself from these panics without ever knowing why. IF you are being treated by a GP< it might be wise to ask for a referral to a specialist shrink practising CBT, for a second opinion

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.