Question
Posted by: Michelle | 2007/02/27

Ants in Aviary

I have a small aviary which is overrun by little black ants. The poor quails are getting covered... what can I do to get rid of them that is not harmful to birds in the aviary and outside it.

Is the aviary built on the ground? Are the ants coming through the floor. Be careful of using toxic substances to control them as the birds could then eat them.

3
Posted by: michelle | 2007/02/28

Thanks all 4 advice. Aviary/bird dealer suggested karbadust - can even be used on the birds!

Reply to michelle
Posted by: WR | 2007/02/27

Hi there!

Get those green 'Ant Traps' and leave about 4 around the aviary.
Ask your vet for some avian insecticide powder, and treat each quail individually.
I think Karba-Dust should be OK B_U_T rather check on the container, and if still unsure, phone the manufacturers.

Good luck!

Reply to WR
Posted by: jax | 2007/02/27

A round-about way of doing it would be to get a small pair of insect-eating birds. The quails shouldn't mind too much, and the ants won't stand a chance. I've noticed that my mynahs follow the ant trails with great delight, when they are outside.
I don't have any mynahs looking for homes at the moment, but try your local bird shops and see if they have any starlings or similar.
Regards,
Jax

P.S. totally environment-friendly!!

Reply to jax