Question
Posted by: Helga | 2008/02/01

Antioxidants may up cancer risk

If ever a topic on Health24 scared the hell out of me it was this news - Antioxidants may up cancer risk. For at least 8 years I am taking daily an antioxidant and for the last 5 years the one called Pro-Oxidin ultra - it contains mainly Grape Seed Extract -Proanthocyanidin 95% (160 mg per 2 capsules), some Silenium, Vitamin C and Vitamin E. I take one capsule per day and only if I for whatever reason could not take it for some days or have (which is very seldom get a cold - maybe every two years) I will take for about 3 days two capsules.
My question: How does the Grape Seed Extract fit into these new findings - good or bad for the prevention of cancer.
The reason: My father died on lung cancer, my mother, her father, her brother on cancer of the colon and my only cousin had his first ulcers when he was 17. I had nothing like that yet - maybe also I always tried to live healthier then they did - but still the worry is there. I had two times checked my colon - besides a few polyps it was fine - last check 3 years ago. I am 68 years old, 1.77 m tal, female and weigh now between 79 and 82 kg, never was really overweight but never skinny.
Please let me have some info re these antioxidants.

Thank you very much in advance
Regards, Helga

Expert ImagePharmacist

Helga,

Antioxidants are often a debatable subject. Many scientists still believe that its benefits still greatly outweighs any potential risk. I believe that the risk is minutely small and most probably blown out of proprtion.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/23

hi I have a high blood pressure Pro oxidin can help me to reduce blood pressure?

Posted by: Charles Potgieter. | 2015/10/29

Whatever you do, stay far away from Statins. They are synthetic chemicals, and they are dangerous. The "so-called" DOCTORS are well aware of my allegation, and they also know it to be true. Instead, take 4 Procydin capsules per day. 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. The 4 Procydin capsules taken every day will definitely lower your cholesterol. Go well. Charles.

Reply to Charles Potgieter.

Reply to Charles Potgieter.
Posted by: Irene | 2015/01/23

I have heard that Pro-Oxidin can help to control cholesterol? Is this true? My husband is on a statin and we have only learned about the severe side effects now after many years of using it. Do we need a seperate Immune-booster or is this one efficient. Do you have any other suggestions please. Thank you

Reply to Irene