Question
Posted by: LESLYN | 2007/03/25

ANTIDEPRESSANT/WEIGHTLOSS

I have been given NUZAC and TOPAMX as weight loss medication,
one of each twice a day, this makes me unable to function at work
and a general feeing of being "spaced out" should I continue and hope the effct will get better??? are these addictive??

Hallo Leslyn
Nuzac is Prozac - an antidepressant which does not have the side-effect of weight gain but won't necessarily cause weight loss.
topamax is a migraine medication also used for epilepsy and is probably the reason for the "spaced out " feeling. If you are not using this for depression, migraine or epilepsy, I seriously doubt if this is a good combination to use just for "weight loss"!!

2
Posted by: JT | 2007/03/27

I have a social anxiety disorder and have been on Zoloft (Antidepressant) and Xanor (sedative) for a while. My shrink wanted to put me on Topamax cause according to her it works very well with Zoloft. When I went to see my GP he said he wouldn't even consider giving me topamax without seeing a psychiatrist, which to me meant this is a pretty hardcore drug. Don't know why you've been perscribed it for weight loss........?

Reply to JT
Posted by: . | 2007/03/26

I'm not a doctor but was on Nuzak after a miscarriage and its definately not a weight loss pill, its absolutely 100% an anti-depressant. Wait to see what Cyberdoc advises but I'd suggest you see another doctor. Are you using them solely for the purpose of weight loss? If so I don't think its a good idea. If you are depressed then I think your doctor prescribed them for that purpose.

Reply to .