Question
Posted by: Kate | 2004/11/07

Antidepressants and weight

I am currently somewhat depressed am contemplating goin onto antidepressants. Before starting to take them I wanted to find out which antidepressants make you gain weight and which make you lose weight. A few of my friends have been on antidepressants and some have lost a lot of weight whereas others have put on a fortune of weight. I therefore wnated to find out as much as possible before starting to take them so that I can make the most informed decision.
Thanks a lot for your help
Kate

Dear Kate
Firstly, depression itself can either cause pronounced weight gain or loss. Secondly you are quite correct that some antidepressants do cause great weight loss in some patients, while other antidepressants may cause weight gain in other patients. The doctor who you are going to consult will have to decide which antidepressant you specifically require, but you can certainly ask him/her to prescribe one that is known for its weight loss effects. It is up to the dr to decide which product is most suitable to your problem and prescribe accordingly.
Hope you will soon feel more positive.