Question
Posted by: Seven | 2007/03/24

antidepressant and weight gain: solution

Hi, I have gained about 25kg while on antidepressant Cipralex and feel quite desperate. Does a combination of diet and exercise help with such medications? What I have read on the web is not very comforting.

Dear Seven
I can understand that you must be feeling desperate about this weight gain. On the one hand you need the medication to help you with depression, while on the other you are gaining so much weight that it is making you feel even more depressed. I checked the side-effects listed for Cipralex and weight gain is not listed. It is, therefore, possible that the depression and not the medication, is causing you to gain weight. Depression can paradoxically either cause pronounced weight loss or pronounced weight gain. Please discuss this problem with the dr who is treating your depression. He/she may be able to either change your medication so that your depression is better controlled or suggest other options. Decreasing your energy intake with a slimming diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life), will cause weight loss. You may also find that if you do regular daily aerobic exercise that this improves the depression because people who exercise produce chemicals called endorphins that make you feel more positive.
Hang in there

1
Posted by: N. | 2007/03/24

I would also like to know the answer to this. I'm on Lilly-fluoxitine (generic of Prozac). Can this antidepressant lead to weight gain?

Reply to N.