Question
Posted by: nicci | 2004/02/17

antibiotics and the pill

Dear Doc,

please advice me on how taking these antibiotics will affect me taking a contraceptive pill
I was on Diane 35 for 4 years and switched to Yasmin about 4 months ago.
My urologist prescribedFlagyl 200mg (1 pill x3 a day)
and Tavanic 250 (1xp day)
How will this affect my contraceptive? or How long should we wait before being sexualy active?
I heard that some antibiotics cancel out the pill

Thank you !

Nicci

Nicci, the Tavanic® is probably safe, but the Flagyl® might cause problems. You should take extra precaution (condoms) for the duration of the treatment plus 7 days. In the case of long-term treatment extra precaution is only necessary for the first 4 weeks. I wrote something on drugs and the pill a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy, you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Just be patient as I still haven’t sorted out my virus problem. Good luck.