Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2007/12/03

Antibiotics

I was wondering if you can tell me generally the 'rules' about exercising (cardio - say jogging/running) when taking antibiotics. I realise that exercise when sick with flu/some kind of infection in the lungs is a bad idea, but what about the effects of anti biotics. So for example, I have a bladder infection at the moment and am taking anti biotics. Would it be a bad idea to go running (say 5 kms a day) as i usually do?

thanks so much for your advice!

Dear Jennifer
The rationale behind not exercising when sick is because if you have a virus infection (like flu) you may cause miocarditis or heart muscle infection which can cause heart failure or even death. It has also been proven that intense exercise can reduce your immunity. If you exercise while feverish your heart needs to work much harder than normal and you are more prone to injuries even with moderate exercise.
See http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6144.html