Question
Posted by: worried mom | 2004/02/04

anti-viral foods

My daughter is 17 and has warts on her vocal cords, accept for removal by laser nothing else can be done medically, but however I've come to the understanding that there are certain anti-viral fruits and vegetables that can help boost her immune system, if you could perhaps assist me in these kinds of food I would really appreciate it, since these warts have been present for the last 9years. She had a laser on the 29/01/04 and has to return every 3 months for ckeckups and if any growth took place she'll have to undergo surgery again every 3 months. If you could assist me I would really appreciate it.

Dear Worried Mom
I am sorry to hear about your daughters problem. I presume these are Human Pappiloma Virus warts. Laser treatment is indicated in such cases. To boost the human immune system you basically need to do the following: a) eat a balanced diet which concentrates on fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meat, fish, eggs, whole grains and cereals, legumes, low-fat milk and dairy products. b) fruits and vegetables that have particularly high levels of beta-carotene, lycopene and vit C all help to boost immunity: e.g. dark yellow or orange or dark green or red fruits and vegs: carrots, pumpkin, butternut, pawpaw, yellow peaches, yellow sweet potato, mangoes, broccoli, spinach, citrus fruits, green peppers, tomatoes, apricots. c) increasing omega-3 intake also increases immunity: the best sources are Salmon oil capsules and fatty fish like salmon, snoek and mackerel. d) use of 'good microorganisms can also help - buy 'Intestiforte' or 'Intestiflora' at health shops and use on a daily basis to improve the natural flora in the digestive tract to increase immunity. e) use of a zinc and selenium supplement (ask your chemist or use a product like Centrum or Supradyn which contains all the essential vitamins and minerals).
Holding thumbs that your daughter will feel better soon.

1
Posted by: Nutrition Nut | 2004/02/05

Vitamin C (at least 2000 mg/day) and the other anti-oxidant vitamins can help. See www dot drrath dot com. Also, there was an article in Men's Health Feb 2004 that quoted research showing that Echinichea can help with herpes, so maybe it can help with warts (Human Papilloma Virus).

Reply to Nutrition Nut