Question
Posted by: anit-sociable | 2005/06/13

anti social tendencies at 18!!!

i turned 18 the other day and the last thing that i wanted to do was to go out with my friend. at the age of 18 i have only one friend, my best friend, a very socialble girl who everyone likes! but i can't seem to open my mouth infront of most of her friends, maybe i feel that they are much better than i am as i'm over weight and funny looking and they are all beautiful and funny and things. my biggest fear is being forgotten but i can't help but allow myself to blend into the backround. i recently have made a flimsy friendship with another girl in my class as my best friend isn't in that class. this girl does seem to like me as a friend but one of her closest friends who spends his entire time with her told me that he hates me and thus i can't manage to pluk up the courage to talk to them during school and if i do i feel like a complete idiot. i'm not someone who likes to force my way into someone else's life and i have become very closed off to everyone around me, even my best friend. the funny thing though is that wen i was younger i was very socialble and i still am to someone i know i wont see again or to adults. i'm not entirely sure what my problem is and what i must do to help it.
please help me.
anti-socialble!

Dear Anti,
So, it sounds as if you're a bit shy, which is entirely normal though it can be a bit uncomfortable at times. You'd benefit from having more than one friend. Remember, NONE of her friends are any better than you, even if they have different shapes. Discuss this with your parents, and arrange to see a counsellor, as these issues should be relatively easy to sort out, and this would leave you feeling much more comfortable and confident. Rather than aiming a the super-cool group ( usually intensely boring people, actually ) find friends you can feel comfortable with

1
Posted by: Cheryl | 2005/06/13

Maybe you feel a little bit intimidated by your friends. I am a very outgoing person but when i used to sit in front of my sisters-in-law i closed up completely because i knew they didn't really like me and i knew they talked behind my back. Maybe its the same with you. Someone in the group obviously makes you uncomfortable and then you get too shy to say something or to be yourself. Just chill and be yourself. If you are uncomfortable then maybe you should find a crowd of friends where you can be yourself.

Reply to Cheryl