Posted by: Anti-social | 2008/08/28

Anti-social behaviour!

Hi doc

I' m 40 years old and single (and gay). My problem is that I' m very quiet and feel uneasy around strangers. I go out to pubs to meet people, and when someone starts a conversation with me I avoid eye contact and I get tongue tied. I just can' t think of anything to say, so I keep quiet and mostly listen. Some guys think I' m just unfriendly or don' t want company. Is there anything I could do do feel at ease and to help me maintain a conversation? Is this a big enough problem to go see a psychologist, or will I just be wasting his/her time?


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Maybe you're just a bit socially awkward and inexperienced at socializing, particularly in the ways and places you're trying ---some of us are. There could well be an element of social anxiety disorder. You wouldn't be wasting the time of a psychologist, who could help with the social anxiety, maybe help you improve self-esteem and confidence

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.