Posted by: Anti-social | 2008/08/28

Anti-social behaviour!

Hi doc

I' m 40 years old and single (and gay). My problem is that I' m very quiet and feel uneasy around strangers. I go out to pubs to meet people, and when someone starts a conversation with me I avoid eye contact and I get tongue tied. I just can' t think of anything to say, so I keep quiet and mostly listen. Some guys think I' m just unfriendly or don' t want company. Is there anything I could do do feel at ease and to help me maintain a conversation? Is this a big enough problem to go see a psychologist, or will I just be wasting his/her time?

Maybe you're just a bit socially awkward and inexperienced at socializing, particularly in the ways and places you're trying ---some of us are. There could well be an element of social anxiety disorder. You wouldn't be wasting the time of a psychologist, who could help with the social anxiety, maybe help you improve self-esteem and confidence