Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2007/07/19

Anti-histamines

Is there any health risk in taking anti-histamines on a regtular basis? I take one pill and use nasalspray every.

Dear Sarah

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Anti-histamines are very safe products to use over a long period of time. Please just be careful of the side effects as illustrated on the package inserts. These side effects are usually immediate. So if you have been using a specific anti-histamine over a long period of time and experienced no side effects, it is safe to continue.

If you are using a corticosteroid nasal spray, you can continue using it on a daily basis up to three months. The more common over the counter nasal spray, i.e. Sinutab Nasal Spray, you are only suppose to use for ten days, as it could aggrevate your sinusitis.

Please do not hesitate to consult me again, should you need any further assistance.