Posted by: Pixie | 2008/06/27

Anti depressants & pregnancy

Hi, I have bipolar disorder and am on quite a few medications: 150mg Effexor; 200mg Lamictin; Martizipane; Alzam; Cloment. Myself & my husband are thinking of having another baby - what do I do about all the medication or can I take all of them while I am pregnant?

There's no simple answer, I'm afraid, but you are very wise to have recognized the importance of this question. You will really need to discuss this in detail with your psychiatrist, as each drug needs to be considered on its own, and in combination, and in relation to your exact prsonal condition and stability. Each of these drugs differs in whether and to what extent they might cause some risks to the foetus ; but also, untreated or uncontrolled mania or severe depression is also not good for the foetus. SO the psych has to analyze your situation carefull, and recommend some possible modifications in the current combination --- based on his / her knowledge of what alternatives did or did not help youm previously.
Try, as you so wisely seem to be doing, to work this out with your shrink, before embarking on a pregnancy