Question
Posted by: K | 2006/11/05

Anti depressants and diet pills

I have recently purchased a diet pill called relislim- i've read the insert and it say that one should consult their GP before use if on anti-depressants. Why is this? I'm on zoloft, what is the risk?

Dear K
Check on the label of the Relislim to see if it contains epinephrine, synephrine or pseudo-epinephrine or bitter orange extract, or caffeine. These ingredients can be highly addictive, so be careful. They can also cause tremors, insomnia, palpitations, irritability, psychotic reactions, etc. In addition, the epinephrine may also interfere with the working of contraceptive pills if you should be using them, so be careful. And they can interfere with your antidepressant medication, so check with the dr who is prescribing the Zoloft before you take any other medications, including over-the-counter products. Many of these slimming products have been banned in many countries because of their negative side-effects, which include addiction and dependence. Rather lose weight the sensible, healthy way without addiction by using a low-fat, energy-reduced diet and regular exercise.
Take care