Question
Posted by: Maria | 2007/08/23

Anti depressants

Hi Dr,

We have been trying for a baby for almost 5 yrs now, I had my first artificial insemination in July, it was succesfull but ended up in a miscarraige. This was our 3rd miscarraige. I really don't feel like I can cope anymore, and I know I am very depressed at the moment, I've been depressed for 2 yrs now, but this time it seems to have hit me hard. I would like to know if welbutrin or cipralex would be safe to use while trying to concieve. Also, I would like to loose some weight (I'll be taking a break from trying to conceive for a while) I would like to start using Duromine. Can I use Duromine and anti depressants at the same time. The Duromine would only be for 3 or 4 months, but I think the AD's I'll use a bit longer hence the need for safety during pregnancy. I know the duromine is unsafe and we will make very sure that I don't fall preggies while I'm using it (not that it's likely, but you never know)

Regards,

Maria

Dear Maria
I would not recommend that you use Duromine - you can't really use it with antidepressants and also not without contraception. Rather ask your doctor to prescribe you an anti-depressant that supresses appetite like Prozac.