Question
Posted by: breastfeeding mother | 2007/03/05

anti depressants

I am suffering from depression and have always been prone to depression, but this has become worse recently. I am seeing a psychologist who has recommended anti-depressants but I cannot use them because I am currently breastfeeding my 6 month old and do not want to wean my baby yet. I've researched herbs, but St John's wort specifically excludes breastfeeding and expectant mothers. Are there any other alternatives?

St Johns Wort, in terms of its actions, is rather like Prozac. As jcat says, Eglonyl is commonly used in pregnancy, but not really recognized as a significant antidepressant, though it might help at times. I'm not clear, from your message, whether you are actually seeing a psychologist (who can recommend, but can't prescribe, antidepressants ) or a psychiatrist --- but the latter would be the most useful here. Some antidepressants CAN be prescribed during pregnancy and during breast-feeding ( when the issue is more the extent to which they would be included in the breast-milk ) and the psychiatrist who assessed you would be in the best situation to assess which would suit the situation best. Untreated Depression isn't great for mom or baby, either. And it may be worth considering weaning, if this seems the best altrnative for you and the child

3
Posted by: jcat | 2007/03/06

Not dense at all! CS is CyberShrink, who's site this is. He is a brilliant psych with lots of experience from all over the world.

He feels (quite rightly), that Esperide is over-prescribed in this country. Not sure why SA docs all seem to like it so much, especially the GPs, and there is very little non-SA info on the net.

Basically though, it is a mild anti-depressant, and a very good booster of breast milk production. So it gets used in both circumstances - particularly in postnatal depression. Although it does get past across to baby, it seems to be one of the safer alternatives.

CS does his shopping on mon/tue, so will reply properly to you later...this is just a bit of info in the meantime.

Regards,
j

p.s. do not take this if you think your breasts are too big already! The one guaranteed result is that you will go up at least a cup size, and it doesn't come down when you stop taking the meds!

Reply to jcat
Posted by: breastfeeding mother | 2007/03/06

Dear jcat

Thank you for that. I had heard of something like that but was not sure of the name. Who is the CS and why is it the least favourite drug. Sorry if I'm being a bit dense

Reply to breastfeeding mother
Posted by: jcat | 2007/03/05

One of CS's least favourite drugs, Eglonyl (Esperide) is supposed to be very safe in pregnancy and breast-feeding. It also has a side-effect of increasing milk production - and is often prescribed just for that.

Reply to jcat