Question
Posted by: M | 2004/03/11

Anti-depressants

My psychologist recommended that I see a psychiatrist in order to have anti-depressants prescribed. I have relapsed into a depression that I had hoped would never return. I am, however, scared of becoming mentally "hooked" on the anti-depressants. Can anyone advise me? Are anti-depressants really something to consider. I'm kind of coping...

Yes, antidepressants are certainly something to consider, M. You cannot get physically "hooked on them" nor psychologically hooked. They don't give rise to the sort of pleasures that cause a drug to make us get hooked on them. But beyond a certain degree of Depression, they can make a large difference in correcting those of your brain chemicals that have gone awry, and thus enabling you to succeed further in your work with your psychologist. Pleased to hear you're kinda coping ; you could be coping een better, and deserve to be.
Actually, ex-addict's being rather negative, maybe based on personal experience which is not typical. Some people are indeed "cured" by antidepressants, and many are greatly helped by them. Just because they're not the entire solution, is no reason to condemn them --- eggs are essential in making a good cake, but we don't reject eggs just because on their own they're not enough to make the cake. Angel's experience is far more typical.

2
Posted by: angel | 2004/03/11

i dont agree that ad's dont work , doctors recommend these drugs because we suffer from a chemical imbalance when we suffer from depression , if the correct dosage is given and you are monitard by your doctor , my personal belief is that you will be fine. Trust me been there done that and today i am coping well havent been on medication for 4 yrs and had no relapse.
take care.

Reply to angel
Posted by: Ex-addict | 2004/03/11

They are a temporary relief and never really resolve the underlying problem. The same as when you've had a stressful day or a crisis in your life, you have a couple of drinks and hey presto you feel great afterwards and your troubles disappear ...... or do they? AD's just 'dull' the pain, feeling, sensation whatever, they don't cure you of it - the proof is that when you stop taking the AD's, what happens? You revert to feeling depressed, suicidal, angry, bitter, sad, lonely, whatever and more often than not, you feel ten times worse, so have they gotten rid of the problem? NO

Reply to Ex-addict