Question
Posted by: b | 2008/06/09

anti-depr meds

I would like to know what the benefit is in taking anti-depressant meds for anxiety when they ultimately would not be taken forever? I have been prescribed them for an anxiety disorder; but I feel against taking them when I consider the fact that I will have to come off them eventually and then I'll have the same symptoms to deal with all over again. I presume they cannot sort out anxiety permanently? Your adviced would be appreciated.

We call them antidepressant meds, because they were originally developed for use in treating Depression, but that is not the only condition in which they are useful. They have a number of useful effects on the subtle chemical climate within our brains, which are useful also in other conditions including anxiety disorders of different varieties. And while they may relieve the symptoms, they can also help your brain to correct some of the chemical imbalances such that you may remain well for longer after taking them for a reasonable length of time.
The argument you use DOES, in my opinion, apply to the benzo sedative tranqulizers ( the Alzam, Urbanol, etc clan) which in no way relieve the underliying problems as such. Anxiety is not a disorder caused by lack of balium !
What can help greatly, in producing lasting benefits, can be CBT ( COgnitive-Behaviour Therapy ) which can help you reduce or remove your sensitivity to whatever triggers your anxiety, and cope better with stressors, achieving the results you are seeking. And combining this with antidepressants can be useful, as the medication reduces the initially severe sympotoms, which can make it easier for you to to the necessary reparative work within CBT