Posted by: VERY WARY | 2008/09/15

Hi Doc,
I would like to know whether you have any info on the anti ageing pill (by solal technologies)? is it safe to take? side effects? (they say not) and what effect would/should it have on the skin.
I read that the solal skin rejuvenating products are the leaders in this field, and as I have bought myself a hole in the head numerous times before, I thought a professional opinion is the way to go.
Hope you can help.
The products in question are 
Advanced rejuvenation (cream)
True nourishment (cream)
The anti ageing pill (2 after breakfast - each day)
(I am in my mid fifties)

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello ‘Very Wary’, thank you for the question.

I will start with the topical products first. There is unfortunately no miracle cream or topical products that will remove wrinkles and/or tighten skin (the same way surgery, laser, Botox, etc. can do) on the market today. However, topical products with proven ingredients do make a difference, even though it may be small. So the answer to the topical products you mention is dependent on what improvements you would like to see as they may not be achievable with topical applications alone.

Solal do not list the ingredients used for their Advanced Rejuvenation Cream so I cannot comment on its effectiveness. The True Nourishment Cream contains Vitamins A, B5 and E with phospholipids and essential oils and DMAE. All of these ingredients are beneficial to the skin and should work adequately as a moisturizer and anti-oxidant.

Regarding the Anti-Ageing Pill:

Ingredients listed are resveratrol and grape seed oil and both have been shown to be beneficial not only to the skin but to the rest of our bodies as well. Research is not extensive with these two ingredients but I cannot see the harm in using them on a daily basis. I have copied an excerpt from WebMD regarding resveratrol:
“The Harvard medical school researchers note there is existing evidence that calorie restriction can extend lifespan across a range of species. The new study shows that resveratrol -- commonly found in plants (fruits and nuts, especially in red grapes, mulberries, raspberries, and peanuts) -- may be able to replicate this process, allowing cells to live longer.
After screening thousands of molecules, the research group says it found that resveratrol mimics calorie restriction in yeast -- activating enzymes that slow aging, increasing the stability of DNA, hence extending lifespan by as much as 70%. Researchers suspect plants make these age-slowing molecules as a defense response.

Reservatrol is associated with a surprising number of health benefits, most notably in age-related diseases, including: cancer, atherosclerosis, and brain disorders.
Researchers now hope to eventually test how resveratrol works in other subjects, including humans.

SOURCE: Howitz, K. Nature, Aug. 24, 2003. ”