Question
Posted by: Kimmi | 2007/03/07

Another vitamin question

Hi there doc!

I know you can overdose on certan vitamins, but can you overdose on vitamin B, A, C ,D and E? if i say, had 200% of the RDA of each, would that be too much? and what are the effects of too much of those vitamins?
Thanks a lot!

Dear Kimmi
The fat-soluble vitamins A and D can cause hypervitaminosis, so I would strongly urge you NOT to take 200% of the RDA of these 2 vitamins. The B vitamins and vit C are water-soluble and individuals usually excrete the excess vitamines via the urine. Just be careful of vit C as massive doses can cause kidney stones in susceptible individuals. I would rather use a supplement that only provides 100% or less of the RDA of each vitamin and I would also only use them 3 times a week.