Question
Posted by: GIL | 2007/03/06

ANOTHER THING

To do with the post on Money issues in marriage.
I don't like to draw comparisons, but I just want to know am I justified in how I feel. here is a recent scenario.
My husband's 17 year old daughter wanted a cellphone contract so she could get a new phone. The rule in our house is that the girls (mine and his daughter) are on pay as you go services which they must manage with their pocket money. needless to say my husband gave in and my step daughter now has a cel contract which he pays. This is unfair on my daughter who goes by the cellphone rule in the house and to make it worse I don't even have a contract and I am his wife!!! It just annoys me that this little madam gets everything she wants, regardless of the boundaries we set which are to help her advance as a young lady, yet my husband won't give me money for necessities. Is the above scenario fair and right?

Pay as you go is obviously entirely fair --- he is spoiling and over-indulging his girl, and it wont be good for her development. Within a family, the rules must be consistent, not broken always for one member of the group.

1
Posted by: Joy | 2007/03/06

No, you know, its NOT RIGHT! and how is that child supposed to believe in the rules you set when she knows they can easily be broken by manipulating her dad! you see? No, no, tell him, its simply not gonna work if you're trying to instill some sense of responsibility in the kids and teach them the value of money! He needs to be her dad, not her friend! and its very unfair toward your daughter and this could cause friction between the girls. He should consider he's actions before acting so rash!..but thats why us women are there, to help our silly men think sensibly! Now show him the way. Dont judge, or fight, just rationally and calmly explain these things to him. Also PLEASE, cut up all those credit cards!! Ooooh debt is such an evil-ke-nevil and a huge influence in unhappy homes!! Make a list of your debt, the accounts, with the owed amounts,...there's nothing more sobering than seeing it on PAPER!..and work toward paying each one of them off! When your husband is faced with the reality, he'll soon see that he's little favours, even though they are well meant, are just putting unecessary strain on your relationship, not to mention your wallets!! Take care and good luck! Always a pleasure to assist where I can.

Reply to Joy