Question
Posted by: anon | 2005/12/05

Another question on when HIV and AIDS show in your blood

Hi. Sorry it is me again. HIV will show after 3 months. But for AIDS to develop it can take up to 10 years. This will definitely start with being HIV positive? If you test negative for HIV (after 3 months of possibly being exposed) there is no way that the AIDS virus can develop in your blood? So in 10 years when I test again, i will still be negative, provided that I didnt do anything to jeopardise this? In other words, negative is negative and nothing can develop or show or anything?? Is this correct?

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Anon!

Yes, you need the HIV virus in your blood to develop AIDS. Of course, immune defficiencies can develop for other reasons too, but that's not AIDS then.

Testing negative after three months means that HIV is not present in your blood and, barring future exposure to the virus, AIDS will not develop.

Stay well!
Laurent