Question
Posted by: Walker | 2007/06/25

Another question...

Hi again Doc

I forgot to include my 2nd question in my previous post - sorry for being a pain. I have started walking half marathon distances, but because I do not belong to a club (yet) I always enter as an individual entrant. I don't have anyone to compare my time etc. to, so I find it difficult to guage my achievement. Example: On Saturday I completed the Bainskloof 21.1km in 3hrs 10min, which I reckon is not a bad walking rate, but I'm not sure whether I should congratulate myself or not! What is considered a good walking rate for a fit walker? I think my average is about 6.5 km/hr but don't know whether I should be boasting or keeping quiet!

HI Walker

It depends on your definition of 'good', because that's the most relative term around! For example, they have an Olympic walking title over 20km, and I can tell you that the winner usually does it in about 1:20, which is a pace of 4 minutes per kilometer or 15km/hr! Now that is good, even for a runner - most runners can only dream of that sort of pace!

So you see, good is very relative, and that affects the answer. But if you can walk at anything faster than 6km per hour, then that would be considered fast walking by anyone's standards, so yes, it's pretty decent. I guess the barrier is to crack 3 hours, but I'm sure you'll manage that soon enough! So of course you should congratulate yourself!